Mrs Kim’s Grill - Chik's Crib

20 November 2014

Mrs Kim’s Grill

I love Korean food. It’s an acquired taste, one that developed rapidly when I moved to Australia for my studies. I love picking my way through all their many side dishes, and would gladly sit there for hours sipping Korean barley tea.

In all honesty though, I’m probably not the best person to eat Korean food with. People tell me I hold the chopsticks wrong. (It’s not wrong. I can use the chopsticks just fine, thankyouverymuch. I can use them to stab your judge-y eyes). My one personal failing, one that I own up to more readily, is that I can’t take spicy food. I try, but the results ain’t pretty. My skin first starts to itch. Then I start sweating. And my nose starts running. Still, my resolve to eat only non-spicy food wavers every time I enter a Korean restaurant, and we’ll inevitably end up with several spicy dishes.

In spite of my unattractive physical reaction to spiciness, (or perhaps because of it?), a group of friends headed over to Mrs Kim’s Grill, a Korean BBQ restaurant, with me in tow.





We went for lunch on a week day, a timing not popular with people who have jobs or school later in the afternoon. Aha! Perfect. We got the best seats in the house, while the other people are frittering their lives away in school. 

We ordered their Famous Marinated Galbi Beef Ribs ($18), their Soy Pork Belly ($14), Soy Lamb Ribs ($14), and Ox Tongue ($15). We also shared a jug of Kirin ($23), which are served on tap. 



Oh you. You magical brew you
My friend and me. I'm usually not that blurry in real life.


Soy Pork Belly. Do not mention the chopsticks. Do not mention the chopsticks.
Oh. My. God. The pork belly was incredible. The fatty layer of the meat burst out with every bite and mingled with the marination. We immediately placed a second order. E'nuf said. The lamb ribs, which took the longest to cook, was just as delicious. One of my friends do not take lamb, and I gladly commandeered his share. What are friends for, after all? 


The 2 beef dishes were nothing to shout about. They were soft and tender, but could have used a few more hours in marination. 

The verdict
It's an excellent place to lunch in, with kirin on tap and delicious meats. It's worth a trip to Carnegie and it's a place I would gladly recommend. Do make a reservation ahead though, if you're going for dinner or on the weekends.

We spent about $26/pax.

Must-Try:
Soy Pork Ribs (Not the Spicy one, which wasn't as nice)
Lamb

After lunch, we headed over to Koko Black at Chadstone nearby for desserts!



Mrs Kim's Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment