The Meeting Place - Chik's Crib

09 July 2015

The Meeting Place

I wasn't sure if I wanted to write up on this place, as terrific as it is. an uncle of my friend owns the stall, and we went over for dinner one lazy evening. I struggled with this conflict of interest for a while, but then again, why should I stay silent over this great find? 

I was astonished when we got to the restaurant. It was a 10 minutes bus ride from my place, and I must have traversed the area hundreds of time over the last few years. Yet, I had no idea there was even a market there, let alone to know the stall.  


I loved the Seafood Omelette ($6), which went well with the Seafood Fried Rice (S: $5, M:$8, L:$13). I picked away at the crispy, oily edges of the omelette, which was the best part. 

The Spicy Stirfry Kangkong is a vegetable dish that I always order, and this did not disappoint. 

And no trip to a seafood stall is complete without the seafood, we had the Sambal Stingray, and the Sambal Squid


A dish that I have never heard of was Gong Gong (not your grandfather la). You coax the meat out of the shell with a wooden satay stick before eating. It's an interesting dish, and one that leaves me wanting more.

Photo from R Wang
The Verdict:
Everybody in Singapore has a zi char restaurant they favour: one that serves the best zichar food they had, and another that is near their house for an impromptu visit. Well, the food here is far better than the other zichar restaurants I had in my West Coast residential area, and several of the dishes here (Kangkong, Seafood Omelette) are among the best that I ever had. 

My new go-to place for zichar.


Check out their Facebook page here


Full Disclosure: As mentioned above, EJ's uncle owns the stall, and we had dinner there at a discounted rate the first time I went. On my second visit, I went with another friend. The prices mentioned here reflects the prices on my second trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment