Tuck Shop Takeaway - Chik's Crib

26 October 2015

Tuck Shop Takeaway


Boy. This burger joint makes going to school worthwhile. Unfortunately - or fortunately for my waist-line? - my campus isn't close enough to hop over every day. Unlike some other lucky souls studying at the hip-and-happening Monash Caulfield campus, my campus is kinda situated in the middle of nowhere. 

Growing up, I was a big fan of the Archie comics. I don't know how many of you would get this reference, but the food on this menu is strongly reminiscence of what Pop's over at the Chok'lit Shoppe might be selling to Archie and gang in USA in the 1950s.
I had a School Meal ($19), which came with a beef burger (veggie option available), fries cuts, soda and a dessert (today was chocolate-cereal). 
Based on my friend's recommendation, I asked for an upgrade of my Minor burger to their off-the-menu double-patty Bully Burger (+$5). The Bully Burger was juicy and flavourful, and the patty was, as promised, medium-rare. I was a little hesitant at first about eating minced beef that hasn't been cooked all the way through, but my lack of tummy problems after show their high level of hygiene. Given that a medium-rare patty was the standard patty served here, they clearly know their stuff.
The fries were some of the best I've ever had. They were exceptionally crispy and perfectly-salted. My School Meal came with some fries, but I soon ran out, and ordered a Large Cuts ($5) to split. 
From my School Meal, I got their 1950s Creamed Soda, something I remember from my Archie-comics reading days. I had high standards for this legendary drink, but I felt vaguely disappointed by the taste. It didn't taste like anything much in particular. Maybe it's a nostalgic drink? N had the Salted Fantale Milkshake ($7). It was hauntingly nostalgic - I think this used to be a childhood sweet of mine... The milkshake wasn't overly sweet (a mutual friend warned it would be). Unlike other milkshakes that are nice on the first sip but gets waaaay too sweet towards the end, this batch's was pretty easy to stomach. 
Salted Fantale Milkshake (left) and 1950s creamed soda (right)
N and YM had the Pulled Pork Jaffle ($7.50), which they loved. I was never one for pulled pork, but it's YM's favourite here, and she comes pretty often. Unlike the traditional pulled pork which suffers from a dry texture if not done well,  the 3 melted cheeses made this dish stand out. (Think pork meat pie but with two pieces of crispy bread.) YM loved the fragrant herbs in the meat too. 
Soft-serve of the day was Jaffa ($5.50). I've never even heard of Jaffa before, but I convinced myself I should try it, just so I don't miss out. Yes, I have FOMO and I'm proud of it. Good thing too, as Jaffa turned out to be an amazing combination of chocolate and orange. A-plus-plus in my books. I scrapped every last bit out of the cup.

As we waited for our orders, I spied with my little eye a soda-maker sitting on the counter. When I asked the staff about it, they announced proudly that everything here is house-made, from their condiments to their shakes. 
A is for Archie, B is for Burger
A word of caution: it was a long wait: when we got there around 730pm, the dinner crowd queue was about half an hour long, and we had to wait another 45 minutes to get our orders. Like the 'Takeaway' in the name hints, there's really not a lot of sitting room: the lone table sits about 6, and there's a handful of bar stools and counter space for the remaining customers. We got our seats in the end, but I recommend going during off-peak hours for a less hassled experience. 



Must-Try
Cuts
Jaffa Soft-serve

Tuck Shop Take Away Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment