Singapore Kampong Restaurant - Chik's Crib

22 July 2016

Singapore Kampong Restaurant

Studying in Melbourne over the last four years, I rarely eat Singaporean-style food here. Sure, I occasionally patronise Petaling Street or Papa Rich if my friends are going, and I go crazy over the stir-fry beef hor fun from Nudle (Chadstone). But for the most part, I get my Singaporean food fix when I go back over the holidays, where I can indulge in my Singaporean food cravings from renowned hawkers at a fraction of the prices here in Melbourne. 

But unlike me, a certain sad boy hasn't been back to Singapore in 4 years and counting. In the spirit of brotherhood, S and I visited the newly-opened Singapore Kampong Restaurant in Clayton. 

I had the Lamb Murtabak, which came in a big serving and was decent. I enjoy their curry, which wasn't overly spicy (toned down for Western tastebuds?) It was a small bowl of curry, but the friendly Singaporean server was happy to provide more when I asked. 

S had the Set meal (2 Meat, 1 Veg - $9.50). The meat portion was smaller than I expected. It looks a bit too dry for me, but I'm sure the lovely owners would have drizzled more sauce over the rice upon request. 

We also had the Chicken and Lamb Satay ($15 for 10). S raved about their satay (grilled meat on a stick) before we came, but it wasn't as nice as I expected. The peanut sauce lacked depth of flavour, and the meat wasn't fragrant. I did enjoy the Ketupat rice though. 
I was looking up their Facebook page, and I saw a familiar fellow-Singaporean's name jumping out at me. It's a small world. He liked their prata, which after tasting the quality of their murtabak, I probably would have agreed with.  Singapore Kampong Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment