Waya - Chik's Crib

14 July 2016

Waya

Waya is one of those restaurant in Glen Waverley that enjoys a perpetual crowd around meal-time. My first visit was with Miss XS in 2014, and since then, I've been a faithful (if sporadic) customer. My last visit was actually a few months ago, when a group of us went after a Degas Exhibition

My favourite dish here is their Crab Cream Croquette ($7). It's my die-die-must-order dish whenever I come. Think crispy breaded exterior, with a rich, creamy, piping-hot crab mix interior. They used to have 4 croquette per order, but has now scaled it down to 3. :( 


For this visit, I had the Beef Curry Don ($11.50). It's well-flavoured, with more than just a tinge of spiciness. I like it, even though I was gulping water down. The portion size was great as well. I almost couldn't finish. Almost.

Another dish I love is the Waya Maki ($12.50). Salmon, tobiko and avocado? Sold. 


R and J shared the Salmon Sashimi (6 for $6), which I didn't try, but they mentioned that it was fresh. R also had the Unagi Bento ($15.80), and they were pretty impressed with it. Guess I found something for me to order next time I come. 

I wasn't a big fan of their Katsu Don (Pork Cutlet with rice - $12.50) on my last visit, but that's more to due with the rice, which was too dry for my liking. I remember their fried pork cutlet then was good. I must say, Waya does their fried food well. J had the Tonkatsu ($7), and it was perfectly fried without coming across as oily or unhealthy - the mark of a good Japanese chef. 
Tonkatsu
Just in the interest of keeping my review complete, I also had the Chahan (fried rice - $9.50) on another past visit. Like the Katsu Don (below), Chahan also had a thumbs up sign, but it was a disappointment when I tried it. The rice was too moist and was clumped together, and was pretty tasteless. I'll stick to their other main courses when I return. 




  Waya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment